Identify and define treatment strategies for geriatric insomnia patients.
Management of sleep disturbances in a geriatric patient
List treatment strategies for insomnia and choose an appropriate strategy for an individual patient.
Insomnia: Difficulty with sleep due to prolonged sleep onset latency, frequent nocturnal awakenings, prolonged periods of wakefulness during the sleep period, or frequent transient arousals .
Identify strategies for treating insomnia in a geriatric patient.
- Roth T. Insomnia: definition, prevalence, etiology, and consequences. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine. 2007; 3(5):S7-S10.
- Kierlin L, Olmstead R, Yokomizo M, Nicassio P, Irwin MR. Diagnostic and Statistic Manual criteria for insomnia related impairment in daytime functioning: polysomnographic correlates in older adults. Sleep Medicine. 2012; 13:958-960.
- McCrae CS. Late-life comorbid insomnia: diagnosis and treatment. American Journal of Managed Care. 2009; 15(1):S14-S23.
- Galimi R. Insomnia in the elderly: an update and future challenges. Gerontology. 2010; 58:231-247.
- Morin CM, Benca R. Chronic Insomnia. Lancet. 2012; 379:1129-1141.
- Durso SM, Sullivan GM. Geriatrics Review Syllabus (8th edition). American Geriatrics Society, 2013.
- Setiati S, Laksmi PW. Insomnia in Geriatrics. Indonesian Journal of Internal Medicine. 2005; 37(4):224-229.
- Morin CM, Colecchi C, Stone J, Sood R, Brink D. Behavioral and Pharmacological Therapies for Late-Life Insomnia. Journal of the American Medical Association. 1999; 281: 991-999.
Disclaimer: Geriatric Fast Facts are for informational, educational and research purposes only. Geriatric Fast Facts are not, nor are they intended to be, medical advice. Health care providers should exercise their own independent clinical judgment when diagnosing and treating patients. Some Geriatric Fast Facts cite the use of a product in a dosage, for an indication, or in a manner other than that recommended in the product labeling. Accordingly, the official prescribing information should be consulted before any such product is used.