Review pharmacologic aspects of renal drug clearance.
Patient in a hospital or other healthcare facility.
Elderly patient requires pharmacotherapy.
- To ascertain patient’s current renal function prior to adding/changing pharmacotherapy.
- To recognize common adverse effects by drug type/class related to renal function.
- National Chronic Kidney Disease Fact Sheet
- Online Geriatrics Curriculum - American Society of Nephrology
- Zhou XJ, Rakheja D, Yu X, Saxena R, Vaziri, ND, Silva FG. The Aging Kidney. Kidney International (2008) 74(6):710–720.
- PHARMACIST’S LETTER / PRESCRIBER’S LETTER, September 2007 ~ Volume 23 ~ Number 230907, Treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus 2006 ~Volume 22(11) ~ Number221103
Users are free to download and distribute Geriatric Fast Facts for informational, educational, and research purposes only. Citation: Edmund Duthie, MD, Christopher J Anderson, Brahm Vasudev - Fast Fact #7: Pharmacologic aspects of renal drug clearance in the elderly patient . February 2012.
Disclaimer: Geriatric Fast Facts are for informational, educational and research purposes only. Geriatric Fast Facts are not, nor are they intended to be, medical advice. Health care providers should exercise their own independent clinical judgment when diagnosing and treating patients. Some Geriatric Fast Facts cite the use of a product in a dosage, for an indication, or in a manner other than that recommended in the product labeling. Accordingly, the official prescribing information should be consulted before any such product is used.